THERE ARE IMPORTANT TARGETS #S AND RECOMMENDATIONS IN DIABETES LISTED HERE FOR EASY ACCESS.
GOALS: optimal health!
• target Hemoglobin A1C (HgbA1C) is 6-7
• target glucose fasting/pre-meal is 80-130
• target glucose 2 hour after-meal <180
HYPOGLYCEMIA: GLUCOSE <70 -> orange juice, glucose tablet/gel, soda
SEVERE HYPOGLYCEMIA: GLUCOSE <54 -> glucose tablet/gel, glucagon pen, turn on side, call 911
Hgb A1C 5 -> 101 glucose 3 month average
HgbA1C 6 -> 136 glucose 3 month average
HgbA1C 7 -> 172 glucose 3 month average
HgbA1C 8 -> 208 glucose 3 month average
HgbA1C 9 -> 243 glucose 3 month average
HgbA1C 10 -> 279 glucose 3 month average
HgbA1C 11 -> 314 glucose 3 month average
HgbA1C 12 -> 350 glucose 3 month average
HgbA1C 13 -> 386 glucose 3 month average
- Eat 3+ regular meals daily.
- IF ON INSULIN, Test: before breakfast, lunch, dinner, and bedtime, and if any symptoms forever (if not on insulin "home glucose monitoring offers no benefits")
- IF ON INSULIN, Continuous Glucose Monitor | (less finger sticks with better control, well worth it) forever (preferred to fingerstick testing if on insulin)
- Blood Tests | HgbA1C every 3 months forever
- Rx | take all medications forever (insulin long-acting in AM, insulin short-acting before meals)
- Diabetes Education | Scripps Whittier 10140 Campus Point Drive La Jolla 877.944.8843 if uncontrolled annually
- Endocrinologist | if on pump or if uncontrolled annually
- Ophthalmologist | annually
- Conference | Take Care of Your Diabetes annually
IS THE LEADING CAUSE OF ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!